Weston Museum offers a range of learning sessions for schools and community groups
Bring your group to visit the museum's brand new Learning Space to take part in an exciting and interactive session focussing on an era of British history, alongside exploring the new displays
Learning session topics cover:
- Fossils and Dinosaurs - Pretend to be a paleontologist by digging for the remains of the amazing creatures that once roamed the Earth. See how fossils are formed and create your own trace fossil to take away, then explore what we can tell about animals and dinosaurs from their fossilized teeth.
- Stone Age to Bronze Age - Imagine how our ancestors survived in a place where mammoths and woolly rhinos roamed the land. Examine antler, bone, flint and bronze tools and have a go at fire lighting techniques. See how people were inspired by the animals around them by trying on furs and leather items, as well as trying your hand at some cave art!
- The Iron Age - Picture yourself as a tribal warrior by handling replica Iron Age swords, trying on some Iron Age dressing up and hearing about how a local hillfort came to a savage end. Learn about domestic life and how people made their clothing, as well as what items they treasured and wanted to take with them on their journey through life.
- The Romans - Imagine yourself as a Roman emperor by trying on a toga, handling some replica Roman armour and making your own coins. Learn about Roman culture through playing some Roman games, designing your own mosaic and adopting a Roman name.
Saxons and Vikings - Play some Saxon and Viking games, then learn how to translate runes through creating your own Viking version of a text message. Map out Viking trade routes and handle some of their wares, then end the session by taking part in a giant game of Saxon and Viking Risk, to feel what it was like to battle for the heart of Britain!
- Victorian Seaside - See how Weston changed from a fishing village to a thriving town, by locating trades and activities on a big floor map. Compare beach activities with an object sorting game of seaside objects old and new, then examine posters and postcards from Weston's heyday and use them as inspiration to create your own postcard.
- Victorian Life - Consider the lives of Victorian children in Weston through dressing up and a game of true or false, play with some school yard toys that don't require batteries and make your own Victorian toy. Practice your hand-writing on slates and see what punishments would be used on fidgety school children!
The following topics are also offered as in-school sessions in an adapted form, where members of the learning team will visit you:
- The Iron Age
- The Romans
- Victorian Seaside
'A fantastic afternoon. Lots of information delivered in a way that was interesting and fun' - Local Primary teacher
'Thank you for the amazing school trip, it's the best trip I've ever been on!' - Harvey, year 3
Learning Session Specifics
The learning sessions are designed as a morning or afternoon interactive experience for one class of approximately 30 pupils, but options can be individually-tailored, according to your preferences or to student's needs. The sessions usually last around 1.5 - 2 hours and consist of a number of hands-on, interactive activities, from crafts and drawing, to dressing up and object handling. Children can have the chance to examine a mixture of original objects and replicas in a close-up, exciting session.
Short versions of the sessions can also be booked. These can last for 30 minutes and consist of an introduction to the topic and a 20 minute activity, perfect for when you have more than 2 classes wanting to visit in a day or when you are short on time. Short Victorian Seaside sessions are great to combine with a day at the beach, when you can do a hands on learning activity, explore the galleries and then wander down to the seafront to enjoy a day at the sea!
- Half day experience for one class of approximately 30 pupils - £80
- Double session (2 sessions, one in the morning and one in the afternoon to cover 2 classes of approximately 30 pupils) - £120
- Short sessions (30 minutes) - £40
Additional mileage costs may apply for in-school visits to locations outside of the Weston area.
The Practicalities of the Day
Find out more about getting here, lunch arrangements, what to do with coats and bags, adult/child ratios and keeping everyone safe, by heading to our Learning Visit Practicalities page.
After something slightly different?
Adapted versions of these sessions are also offered for home educator families; these sessions are advertised periodically on our events listings and social media channels. As a home educator, you can also sign up to our newsletter list, specifically for you. Just send us an email and we will add you on.
There are also tailored options for SEN learning resources, which you can find out about here.
The Museum also offers a handling box hire service on a number of topics; handling boxes are available to hire at £25 for a 2 week period.