An exhibition to celebrate the community engagement work that has been undertaken as part of Weston’s High Street Heritage Action Zone. (HSHAZ) opens at Weston Museum on Saturday 4th November 2023 and finishes on Saturday 2nd March 2024. The exhibition celebrates the work that the Museum has carried out to deliver the High Street Heritage Action Zone engagement programme. The High Street Heritage Action Zone finishes in March 2024 and this exhibition showcases the work and legacy arising from the project.
Background to the HSHAZ:
The HSHAZ is a four-year programme of restoration work on buildings in Weston plus community engagement. It ends March 2024.
Restoration work has been carried out on Fork n Ale pub, 4,6,8 Walliscote Road, and The Kendall’s building (16-28 High Street and 40-42 Regent Street).
This equates to over £800,00 worth of investment by Historic England.
The £55,000 engagement programme funded by Historic England included:
• A schools engagement project run by Weston Museum
• Monthly talks organised by Weston-super-Mare Civic Society
• Memories Shared: A reminiscence project in Care Homes managed by NSC Library team
• Recruiting, training and managing ‘Culture and Heritage makers’ volunteers managed by Super Culture.
• Development of Heritage walks in Weston- published on Super Weston website
• Training for Retailers in marketing their shops
• Co-ordination of Heritage Open Days Sept 2018 to Sept 2023
• And two exhibitions- one in The museum Nov 2023-Feb 2024 and one in Sovereign centre 17 Jan- 11 Feb 2024