What's on at Weston Museum
Weston’s High Street Community Exhibition
May 21 - November 5
Explore Weston’s High Street in this community exhibition and remember shopping, entertainment and leisure in the past. The exhibition is a celebration of the High Street and will act as a legacy project. It has been supported by North Somerset Council’s Heritage Action Zones.
Weston has two Heritage Action Zones (HAZ) thanks to a combined investment of £2m from Historic England.
Great Weston Heritage Action Zone
North Somerset Council was awarded £800k funding and Heritage Action Zone status by Historic England in 2017. It was one of the first places in England to receive this status. This project will end in September 2022.
The Great Weston Heritage Action Zone aims to:
• unlock potential in town centre areas that are rich in heritage
• to bring historic places back to life
• to attract residents, tourists, businesses and investors, and
• to create economic growth.
High Street Heritage Action Zone
In 2020, North Somerset Council received a further £1.1m from Historic England when it was awarded High Street Heritage Action Zone status. This project will run until March 2024.
• engaging communities with the heritage of Weston through volunteering and stakeholder initiatives
• restoring and repairing original features in historic buildings
• delivering a comprehensive public realm scheme to enhance Station Road, Walliscote Road and Alexandra Parade
• improving the exterior of retail units through the delivery of a shopfront enhancement scheme
• funding the development of training opportunities in traditional heritage conversation skills
• delivering a cultural programme, in partnership with Culture Weston.